Newspaper Archive of
Catholic Northwest Progress
Seattle, Washington
April 16, 1965     Catholic Northwest Progress
PAGE 2     (2 of 54 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 2     (2 of 54 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
April 16, 1965
 

Newspaper Archive of Catholic Northwest Progress produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




2--.THEPROGR.ESS  Friday_____ S, Ari_____[I I6__.L, !96___5 World Shrine Being Restored Chicago's Cardinal Is Widely Mourned (Continued from Page 1) Pope Paul names a new arch- "" Secretary of State. The Pope bishop. Lutheran church in the Jor- praised Cardinal Meyer's "in- Auxiliary Bishop O'Donnell, Divert River, Save Hospital PORT MORESBY, Papua (NC)--A swollen river in the Sepik district has been diverted to save a large Catholic leper hospital from collapsing into it. After two weeks of working every day using two bulldozers and gangs of Papuan laborers, public works engineers halted serious erosion of the river bank which had collapsed to within 100 feet of the nearest hospital building. The hospital is the Raihu Hansenide Colony, staffed by Fran- ciscan missionaries on the Raihu River, near the costal town f Aitape. e Bishop Receives Hard Hat ST. PAUL, Minn. (NC)--Auxiliary Bishop James P. Shannon, who went to Selma, Ala., two weeks before his March 31 con- secration to join in civil rights demonstrations, has received a construction worker's steel hat from a Minnesota friend with the following message: "In the fight for the rights Of the blacks and the whites You will find this hat better Than your new bishop's miter, Or even, we add, than your old biretta." e IN THE RUINS OF ROME'S Colosseum, this simple cross commemorates Christianity's early martyrs. According to tradition, many martyrs died here for the faith, begin- ning with St. Ignatius of Antioch (c110). Ministers Arrested in Cuba KINGSTON, Jamaica (NC)--Cuba's Communist government has arrested 53 persons, including two US Baptist ministers, and accused them of being spies for the US. The American ministers jailed, it was learned here, are the Rev. Herbert Caudill, who his spent more than 35 years in Cuba,  and his son-in-law, the Rev. David Fite. A Cuban government statement said Mr. Caudill and those M arrested with him, who included "various Baptist ministers," were guilty d "subversion," illegal currency dealings and taking advantage of their followers' religious beliefs to aid Cuba's : enemies. No More 'Pray for Pay' NAPLES (NC)--Alfonso Cardinal Castaldo of Naples has issued a directive prohibiting age-old practices of "buying" prayers by which persons could hire orphans or nuns to pray for a particular intention. The directive was read in all churches and religious houses March 27. Also outlawed are the professional mourners who lamented the dead by praising their real or alleged virtues. ;) danian sector of Jerusalem, the Basilica of the Holy Sepul- chre is distinguished by four obvious features. There is a very large dome which covers the Christ, a smaller dome over the Greek Orthodox church, a bell tower and a maze of gir- ders. If one looks closely it can be seen that there are two sets of girders--an old set used to prop up the crumbling walls, and a new web of scaffolding erected by present day con- struction workers. These new girders are the most significant features. For after centuries of wars, fires, restorations and interdenomin- ational fights, Christendom's most venerated shrine is being restored once more, and this time it is hoped the work will suffice for many generations. There is much evidence to prove the early Christians re- vered the place where Christ was buried and the spot where He died on the Cross. Appar- ently in an attempt to discour- age the veneration, the Roman Emperor Hadrian built a tem- ple to Venus on the site. In the fourth century the Em- peror C o n s t a n t i n e and his mother, St. Helena, began the work of uncovering the ancient shrines. Together with Bishop Macarius of Jerusalem, and af- ter a long search, St. Helena found the burial place and the cross still intact. The church built on the spot in the year 335 was im- mense for its day, measuring 163 feet long by about 95 feet wide. The bare rock of Calvary, cut into shape, was covered with a gilded can- opy. The tomb of Christ was at the Center of the circular Chapel of the Resurrection at one end of the church. Three centuries after the church of Constantine was fin- ished, a long series of misfor- tunes began for the basilica. In 614 it was destroyed by fire when the Persian Chosrees sacked Jerusalem. A dozen years later is was rebuilt by the Abbot Medestus with the help of the'Patriarch of Alex- andria. In 1010 the building was destroyed again, this time by the Mohammendans under the Caliph Hakem. Through the intercession of Emperor Constantine Monomachus, the basilica was restored once more in 1048. The shape of the original building had now tea altered considerably. Only the domed structure over the tomb re- tained its former magnificence. The other holy places were marked by small chapel or oratories. Yet some of the off. ginal structure remained. To this day one can still see parts of the basilicas of Constan- REPAIRS AND RESTORATION of the Holy Sepulcher Basilica go forward under su- pervision of an architectural committee with representatives from each church which has rights in the building. tine, Modestus and Monoma- chus. The steps leading to the first basilica can still be seen in the Russian hospice and the Coptic covent. When the crusaders captured Jerusalem in the 12th century, it was decided to rebuild the entire basilica on a grand scale. The result was a building which for the most part staiads to- day. Crusader architecture was bold and daring. The rugged clusters of stones they used seem almost to be thrown to- gether. The rotunda of the tomb of the previous church was largely preserved in the cru- sader church. Just outside," a stairway led down to the chapel of St. Helena and the crypt of the True Cross. Franciscans, who by now had been assigned to care for the Holy Land shrines, restored the basilica in 1555 and again in 1719. However, in 1808 the church was gutted by fire once more, and the rotunda was completely destroyed. Since the Franciscans were unable to get financial assistance fom the West, the basilica was restored by Greek Orthodox whose work erased all the designs and de- corations of the Latin church. These have still not been un- covered. :Hardly 50 years later the Greek dome began to collapse It was rebuilt in 1868 with se- veral countries financing the work. Then in 1927 an earth- quake left the walls of the bas- ilica tottering. When the Brit- fine, were unable to get the ish, who now governed Pales- various sects to cooperate in a reconstruction Shown walls were simply shored up with a network of wooden posts and iron girders. Pieces of glass were fastened to the stones, so that if they moved once more the glass would break. In 1949 the dome was again severely damaged by fire and subsequently covered by a light- er material. The modem work of recon- struction was inaugurated in 1955 when the Jordanian govern- ment brought the various re- ligious groups together to plan the work. A committee of ex- perts from Europe and the United States was appointed by the Latin-rite Custos to study, along with committees from other Churches, what could be done. In 1959, representatives of the Catholic, Greek Orthodox and Armenian Churches signed an agreement to carry out the reconstruction. Each was assigned a portion of the has- ilica to restore. A joint tech- nical bureau coordinated their efforts. Although the barriers' of inter- community strife had been largely overcome, the task facing the builders was an im- mense one. They had to re- open a quarry to find stones similar to those used for the CiSiiantine ind crusader churches. The stones had to be carried many miles into Jeru- salem, then navigated through a narrow entrance--less than a yard wide--to the square in front of the basilica. Building materials had to be carried in by animals and rubble carried program, - the .- out. cwv Post Vast Education Aid Marks 19th Anniversary The Catholic War Veterans' Father Vincent Post in Seattle will celebrate its 19th anniver- sary with a pot luck supper Thursday, April 22, in the Vet- erans of Foreign Wars Hall, 002 12th Ave. Supper will be served at 6:30 pm. Admission is $1 per per- son, announced Douglas Har- vey, commander. A meeting will be held the same evening. Joseph Kneuh- man of Our Lady of Fatima Parish will present a travelogue .on Mexico. Program Launched (Continued from Page 1) of parochial and private school pupils. Morse and the bill's other supporters argued that the aid contemplated in the legislation is aimed at pupils, not charch-related schools, a constitutionally permissible course. A major Senate challenge was an amendment by Sen. Sam J. Ervin of North Carolina. Ervin proposed that the bill include a provision authorizing nearly automatic Federal court challenge by a taxpayer of the bill's inclusion of parochial pupils. The Ervin proposal was defeated 53 to 32 in the face of ap- peals by Morse and Republican Sen. Jacob Javits of New York, who said the constitutional issue is being approached in other ways, notably a court case in Maryland, and that the benefits of the Johnson bill should not be delayed, which would be the case if it were held up by a court challenge. (The Maryland ease, which is expected to reach the US Supreme Court, is a challenge by the Horace Mann League and others against state legislature grants to four church-related colleges. The grants have been upheld in a Maryland circuit court.) Also defeated- by a vote of 68 to 20--was an amendment introduced by Sen. Peter H. Dominick of Colorado which would specifically have prohibited spending Federal money to donstruct facilities or pay teachers in church-related schools. Morse said there was no need for such an amendment since the measure already forbids this. The Johnson program is not general Federal aid to ele- mentary and secondary education, Morse told the Senate, al- though he freely admitted it could be interpreted as a "back door" approach to broad-scale aid. The measure's three main provisions are: 1) One billion dollars to public school districts under a formula based chiefly on the number of children in school who come from families earning less than $2,000 a year. The grant would cover half of the cost of education for each eligible pupil. Parochial and other private schools pupils in the same low income bracket would benefit by extension to them by local public school districts of shared services or facilities. Public school districts are required to take these children into account when making their plans to aid needy students. 2) About $100 million would be provided to buy textbooks for pupils, materials and volumes for school libraries and some instructional equipment. All would be owned by a public agency, such as the ,lonal school district or library, but they could be lent to children attending nonpublic schools. 3) Another $100 million would be used to establish educa- tional centers to benefit beth public and private school pupils with cultural enrichment programs and other special services. Public agencies would operate these centers, but the legislation requires that private school educators and others from outside the public schools take part in the planning for them. Among strong suporters of the Johnson bill was Sen. Abraham Ribicoff of Connecticut, who served two years as the late President Kennedy's Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare and who led the unsuccessful 1961 effort to get Con- gressional approval of general Federal aid to education. "We have," said Ribicoff, noting the support of virtually all major educational and religious groups for the bill, "finally put behind us the years of travail and controversy. We have opened ahead of us years of greatness and fulfillment." On The Light Side In an effort to teach by showing the lighter as well as the more serious side of Catholic news, The Progress is starting a new column devoted strictly and unabashedly to the funny side of Catholic life. We invite our readers to submit humorous anecdotes--preferably recounting your own or your friend's experiences in adjusting to 20th cen- tury Catholicism. Cartoons will also be accepted. The rules for submitting materials for this column are very simple. All anecdotes submitted must be original in content, typewritten, double spaced, and may not exceed 200 words. The shorter the better. Your entry becomes the sole property of The Progress and may not be used in other publicationswithout permission. Cartoons must be original and drawn in black India ink ready for linecut reproduction. Cartoons likewise become property of The Progress. You may begin sending in entries today. The column will not begin, however, until after Easter. The Progress will pay the author $5 for every anecdote and cartoon published. | The work of reconstruction has by necessity gone very slowly. It takes one man a week to prepare a single stone. Since there is little room to work, only a few men can be employed and no heavy equip- ment can be used. Yet progress is being made. In a few months the front of the building will be strong enough to stand with- out shoring. Inside, the Frank- lin Chapel, being restored by the Catholic Gustos, has been stripped of the plaster which once covered the crusaders' stonework. C o I u m n s and stones which cannot be saved are being carefully matched by new ones. It is hoped the crusader church will be restored by next year or the year after. In 1970 the Byzantine rotunda should be finished. After that it will be decided what to do with the dome over the tomb. The arcades inside the Church were badly damaged by the 1808 fire. Now, gradually, they are being rebuilt and strength- ened and are being stripped of the supports put in place after the fire. It is generally agreed that although the Greek Ortho- dox restoration after the fire hid the real lines of the build- ing, they did in fact save it. Without the work of the Ortho- dox the entire building might have collapsed and today's ef- forts to restore the ancient and venerable shrine would be im- possible. Makes Alaska Religious 00sory ANCHORAGE, Alaska (NC)-- Father Francis Murphy, curate at Holy Family church here, has the distinction of being the first Catholic priest to preach in a Protestant church in Alaska. Some 200 persons attended a Lenten vesper service in An- chor Park Methodist church and heard Father Murphy speak. The Rev. Ken Heflin, pastor of the Methodist church, said the service was "a real step forward in healing the breach that has existed between Catho- lics and Protestants across the years." He added that it shows "we can work together," and called the service a chapter of religious history in Alaska. Father Murphy said there is among Catholics "an awareness of the need of understanding the areas of mutuality and common ground that we all share." 'Jazz' Mass Sunq BONN, Germany (NC) -- A Mass based partly on jazz rhythms and including tunes from American Negro spirit- uals was sung for the first time at the nearby Wadberberg Dominican house of studies, whose students had joined in composing it. spring leadership" and "out- standing zeal." Declaring that "Americans of all religious faiths will mourn his death," President Johnson said of C a r d i n a I Meyer: "His death and deep-rooted belief in individual dignity, common understanding and religious freedom for all men justly earned him the pro- found admiration, respect and gratitude of men every- where." Cardinal Meyer's body lay in state in the cathedral for the better part of three days before the requiem Mass. Thousands of sorrowing Chicagoans from all walks of life came during that time to pay their last respects to him. Cardinal Meyer had received the last Rites of the Church and Holy Communion two weeks be- fore he died. Chicago was plunged into deep mourning by the cardi- nars death, just two days be- fore Palm Sunday and the start of Holy Week. Children in parochial schools said prayers for the repose of his soul. Black bunting draped all Catholic churches. The archdiocesan board of consulters elected Bishop O'- Donnell, 47, to the post of ad- ministrator and will serve until Mrs. Bartroff Attends NCCW Convention MRS. R. A. BARTROFF An honored guest at the 41st Annual Convention of the Seat- tle Archdiocesan Council of Catholic Women to be held in Tacoma, April 24-25 will be Mrs. Ray A. Bartroff, newly appointed n a t i o n a 1 director from Spokane. Mrs. Bgrtroff represents the three diocese of the state, the Archdiocese of Seattle and the Dioceses of Spo- kane and Yakima. Mrs. Bartroff has been in dio- cesan work twenty years. She also is a member of the board of Catholic Programming Serv- ice and Catholic Family Serv- ices, and has been an outstand- ing leader in the Civic affairs of her community. Mrs. Bartroff's two children reside in Seattle. They are Mrs. Richard Yonak and John W. Bartroff. WSU Fraternity To Honor Cook SPOKANE--Mrs. Hulda Lam- parter. 25 years a cook for Phi Kappa Theta--Washington State University national fra- ternity for Catholic men--wiU be honored at the fraternity's silver jubilee reunion. Saturday, April 24, in Ridpath Hotel here. The WSU chapter is celebrat- ing its 25th anniversary here with Mrs. Lamparter its cook all those years. To be honored also will be John Nagle, house adviser also for 25 years. He will be re- tiring this year. Vicar General selected by Car- dinal Meyer to offer the funeral Mass, praised the cardinal as "a great churchman, a true shepherd of his flock in the archdiocese of Chicago, and an outstanding international fig- ure," and added, "We are con- soled in the thought that hu- manity today is better, purer, and nobler for the life that has just come to an earthly close." Blessing Of Grea Organ Scheduled WASHINGTON (NC) -- Fran- cis Cardinal Spellman of New York, Military Vicar for Catho- lics in the United States Armed Forces, will bless the great or- gan recently installed in the National Shrine of the Immacu- late Conception here Sunday af- ternoon, April 25. The cardinal will also cele- brate a low Mass with hymns. Msgr. (Brig. Gem) William J. Moran, deputy chief of chap- lains, U.S. Army, will preach the sermon. Music for the dedi- cation cremonies will be pro- vided by Catholic University of America A Capella Choir under the direction of Michael Cordovana and the United States Naval Academy Catholic Choir under the direction of Chief Musician Joseph M. Mc- Cuen. The organ, built at a cost of $250,000, is a gift to the shrine from Cardinal Spellman as Military Vicar and from the Catholic chaplains and mem- bers of the US Armed Forces in memory of those who died for their country. The instru- ment, reputed to be one of the finest in this hemisphere, con- sists of two organs. The great organ is located in the south gallery over the shrine's main entrance, and the chancel organ is located in the west chancel gallery. The distance between the two consoles is that of a city block. Following the blessing, Charles M, Courboin, organist at St. Patrick's Cathedral, New York; will give the first in a series of dedication concerts. CU Planning $40 Million Expansion WASHINGTON (NC) -- The Catholic University of America has announced a 20-year $40 million development plan de- signed to enable it to double its enrollment in two decades-- from 6,000 now to 12,000 by 1985. The expansion plans call for several new dormitories for men and women, classroom and laboratory space more than twice that now available, new athletic and recreationaVfacili- ties, a performing arts center, and other facilities, First projects will be a $750,000 laboratory and class- room 'additions to the biol- ogy and nursing buildings and a new $1 million building for the law school. Plans for the expansion were submitted to the National Capi- tal Planning Commission by Father Raymond Favret, the university's assistant business manager. Gift for Non-Catholic Friends "Journal of a Soul," one of the remarkable personal documenis of our time that provides inspiring glimpses into the profoundly human personality of the beloved Ie Pope dohn XXIII, starts wlih thls edition of The Progress. What could be more ideal reading for your non.Catholic friends than this superb chronicle, written by the Pope of Ecumenism himself; who re- corded his humble attempts to regulate his llfe to God's will. Eighteen excerpts of "Journal of a Soul" plus all the other compact Cath- olic nes are yours to give to your non-Cathollc friends. Why not order now? Catholic Northwest Progress, 907 Terry Ave., Seattle 98102, MA. 2.8880 SUNNY JIM SLOGAN CONTEST WINNER MR. FELIX L. JULIAN 2715 S. 8th St. Tacoma St. Rita's Parish, Tacoma FOR THE VERY FINEST IN PEANUT BUTTER FINE FOODS MUSTARD" SYRUPS & TOPPINGS. JAMS. JELLIES PRESERVES. FRUIT DRINKS & POP ALWAYS BUY... II II t t