Newspaper Archive of
Catholic Northwest Progress
Seattle, Washington
March 15, 1963     Catholic Northwest Progress
PAGE 24     (24 of 34 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 24     (24 of 34 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
March 15, 1963
 

Newspaper Archive of Catholic Northwest Progress produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




March ,15 1963 Catholic Northwest Progress---7 ...for tomorrow's lay leaders BY HILL WILLIAMS ARLY in the morning on each school day, Blanchet High School's "fleet" of busses roars to life. And, with nuns at the .wheel, the trim, blue Volkswagen busses begin their regular routes through the city picking up Sisters who teach at the Catholic high school. The 29 Sisters on Blancher's faculty represent eight different orders, and live at eight different con, vents or hospitals throughout the city. So the high .school owns three busses to deliver its Sisters to the door in the morning and return them home at night. Blanchet teachers have not al,ways had such luxuri- ous service. A battered old station wagon was the sole transportation ior the Sisters who reported for duty in September, 1954, when Blanchet opened its first class. Had Humble Beginnings The handsome building at Wallingford Avenue North and North 82nd Street still was not ready for occupancy. The 243 members of Blancher's first fresh- man class reported for school in the old Blessed Sacra- ment School. And the Sisters drove back and forth from their convents in the old station wagon. A diary kept in these early days has the following entries regarding the transportation: December 2, 1954--Faculty meeting after school. The station wagon gave out on Boren Avenue in the midst of the 5 o'clock traffic. During the entire year, it has had its ups and downs, and so did the people who were riding in it. However, it managed to get us there and back, and we were not asphyxiated, especial- ly if we left all the windows open. December 3, 1954--The station wagon stopped on 42nd and Roosevelt. The coach came for the Sisters. Students Roughed It Too The S,isters were not the .only ones roughing it. Some classes were held in rooms without desks for a few days. There were no lights for a time. Books were missing for some classes. Faculty and student body moved to the new building in May, 1955. A class was added each year. The busses replaced the balky station wagon. None of the original Sisters on the faculty is still there to enjoy the fancy new busses, as the nun-drivers wheel them neatly up to th high school's big glass doors. Objective The Same Blanchet may have grown (the enrollment this year is 1,200) but its purpose is precisely what it was when it opened in temporary quarters more than eight years ago. Continued on :Page 9 RT. REV. MSGR. JOHN P. DOOGAN, prin- cipal of Blanchet since it opened in 1954 di- rects a faculty of five diocesan priests, 29 Sis- ters from eight different communities and 14 lay teachers. About 250 classes are taught each day m more than 100 different subjects. AFTER LUNCH students take a brief spell of sun, air, chatter and relaxation in the big quadrangle behind the building. An outside bell calls them in for afternoon classes. Twelve hundred students from 14 northend Eeattle parishes attend Blanchet High School. /